Sales Development Council #15 – A Recap
Over 30 sales development leaders from the Bay Area’s fastest growing companies once again convened last Friday for TOPO’s Sales Development Council #15. These Councils offer a unique forum for sales development leaders from high growth companies to learn from each other and share best practices. Each Council features three speakers who share the processes, plays, organizational elements, and technologies they use to drive key revenue metrics.
As usual, we started Council with a lightning round of introductions and asked attendees to share a “hot button” issue. Some hot-button issues that were raised include:
- Ramping and certifying aggressive Q1 headcount
- Ensuring ongoing training adoption
- Personality testing and career development for SDR’s
Highlights from our Speakers
Our first speaker was Kristina McMillan, TOPO’s Director of Research, who was focused on applications of the Account-Based Funnel to Sales Development teams.
The key takeaways from Kristina’s session included:
- Align your Account-Based strategies and execution around your Ideal Customer Profile (ICP) and Target Account List.
- Leverage high-value calls to action in your outreach.
- Marketing-SDR orchestration is key in ensuring Account-Based results.
Discussion points that came up during the session included:
- Compensating SDRs around metrics that can be controlled such as meetings in target accounts, multi stakeholder meetings, and account expansion.
- Building account plans and sales development strategies around customer lifetime value.
- Design customized offers and call to actions for targets that offer value.
Our second speaker was Katherine Andruha, Director of Global Sales Development at Apttus, who was focused on the value of data and account cadences, and how those have helped her sales development team at Apttus.
Discussion points that came up during her session include:
- The value of shadowing or recording sales development calls in order to measure comprehension and for use as a training tool.
- Build account cadences and touches that utilize your technology stack.
- Calling and leaving voicemails are key in differentiating you from your competitors.
Our third speaker was Chris Casillas, Director of Sales Development at AppFolio, who focused on how to build company and team culture that encourages SDR career growth and job satisfaction.
Discussion points that came up during his sessions include:
- Enable team members to come up with gamification strategies for spiffs and proactive behavior at target accounts.
- Make it a habit to celebrate team successes and personal growth in a public way.
- As part of onboarding and consistent training, ensure that SDR’s understand how they drive strategy of the company.
Interested in learning more about TOPO’s councils and discussing how your organization can tackle these topics? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.