RevOps: The Modern Operating Model For Fast-Forward Organizations
RevOps is the modern operating model for driving efficient, predictable revenue. Organizations are always looking for revenue growth, and that need increases following a period where sales are flat or negative. Sales and marketing teams scale their efforts to accelerate growth in response to improving economic conditions through a series of specific actions. In other words, specificity wins and bias-towards action will matter most.
Some of the specific actions include adopting a lean, agile go-to-market (GTM); moving to a data-driven decision framework; building a resilient, forward-looking organization; and adopting Revenue Operations (RevOps).
The RevOps operating model is a series of repeatable activities conducted across GTM functions including marketing, sales, sales development, and customer success. Therefore, RevOps is not a function but rather a way to better align the organization.
3 Key Attributes of RevOps Model
Three key attributes identify the RevOps model:
- The process design is end-to-end and supports the entire customer lifecycle.
- It is interconnected with seamless workflows across integrated systems, data, and functions.
- It is observable by providing visibility into execution and outcomes across the revenue process.
The TOPO Revenue Operations Framework (see below) is a standardized methodology for helping GTM organizations adopt the strategic, but still nascent, shift towards end-to-end revenue management, practiced by the world’s fastest-growing companies. Above all, a framework is only providing a strategic starting point for alignment, diagnostic and action.
7 Organizing Elements of RevOps Model
Organized into the following elements: strategy, process, workflow, data, analysis, and technology.
- Strategy – Plan that aligns to revenue objectives to organize and mobilize the revenue organization
- Process – Design, management, and tracking of end-to-end revenue processes
- Workflow – Manual and automated processes required to create an interconnected revenue process
- Data – Data needed to manage and optimize end-to-end revenue processes
- Analysis – Agreed-upon activities to monitor and measure across the revenue lifecycle
- Technology – Technology stack required for Revenue Operations execution
This framework can be used to build or iteratively improve a RevOps operating model.
Recommendations To Start Applying Today
When utilizing the The TOPO Revenue Operations Framework, we would recommend starting with a diagnostic of your current state as it relates to each of the key elements to determine which areas have the largest gaps to address. These gaps will serve as the beginning building blocks for iteratively improving how to best apply it to your organization.
Contact us for diagnostics to accelerate your revenue growth.