TOPO Demand Generation Council Event – Recap
34 demand gen professionals joined TOPO last Friday for our first Demand Generation Council event. The event was only our second ever, but like our Sales Development Council event last month, the half day session turned out to be an excellent forum for some of the world’s fastest growing companies to share demand gen best practices. Much of this success can be attributed to the design principles that we’ve adopted for these events. First, we are laser-focused on the patterns and best practices that high growth companies exhibit. Second, we only allow marketing and sales practitioners to speak and attend TOPO events. Third, we tell all of our speakers and attendees that specificity wins – thought leadership/pontification does not play well at these events.
These guidelines work, as evidenced by the following details from the event:
- 34 demand generation professionals attended the three hour meeting.
- Demand gen execs from companies such as Docusign, Microsoft, RingCentral, ServiceNow, and VMware were represented.
- Our three speakers were Rob Israch of NetSuite, Maria Pergolino of Apttus, and Erich Ziegler of RingCentral.
- Three terrific companies sponsored the event – Compile, Demandbase, and LeadMD.
- We met at the Rosewood Sand Hill – a great meeting space and excellent food.
Key Demand Generation Trends
While our speakers presented on a number of different demand gen topics, a handful of key themes emerged:
- Account-based marketing is a really hot topic among our clients. Maria Pergolino from Apttus gave an excellent presentation on the tactics that she uses to target key executives and decision-makers in a narrow target market. These campaigns span display, pay per x, direct mail, telemarketing, email, and field marketing. Maria provided specific examples of each program and discussed the metrics that she uses to measure success. Let’s just say that Maria and other marketers using ABM are living in a high cost/high value world.
- Metrics. Metrics. Metrics. It should come as no surprise that a bunch of Silicon Valley demand gen execs spent more time talking about metrics than any other topic. Rob Israch walked attendees through how NetSuite approaches campaign performance. It’s a brutally objective approach that force ranks every lead source using a variety of performance-oriented metrics.
- We wrapped up the day with a fascinating discussion about the strategic impact that demand generation can have on a high growth organization. Erich Ziegler of RingCentral presented a framework for driving revenue and earnings growth by focusing measuring true customer lifetime value (LTV) and true customer acquisition costs (CAC) across various lead sources. Sound simple? It’s not, particularly when you throw increasing lead quantity and lead quality into the mix. There’s a large number of competing forces constantly working against each other.
If you’re interested in learning more about any of these topics, you can find the speakers’ presentations on Slideshare. So far, we’re two for two with TOPO events. We plan to keep going so stay tuned for more information regarding upcoming events on critical sales and marketing topics. And if you’d like to join our Demand Generation, Sales Development, or Sales Council, contact us here.
About the author: Scott Albro is the CEO and founder of TOPO. TOPO is a research and advisory firm that helps companies grow faster. We do this by shopping, benchmarking, and improving the experiences that sales and marketing organizations deliver to buyers. It’s this data that helps our clients (some of the world’s fastest growing companies) drive more traffic, more leads, higher conversion rates, larger average deal sizes, shorter sales cycles, and lower churn rates. The result? Our clients grow 2X faster than the competition.